Join my community for regular insights via email -

How To Give Effective Feedback


It’s a word that can send shivers down our spines.

Whether you’re about to give it or receive it, the word alone can be a real trigger. But fear not because if you want to boost your confidence in providing effective feedback that genuinely helps people improve, you’re in the right place.

Effective feedback is a game-changer in leadership, yet shockingly, only 26% of people believe the feedback they receive at work actually contributes to their improvement, according to Gallup research. That leaves a staggering 74% feeling like the feedback they get has zero positive impact.

So, why is this the case?


Many leaders have never experienced effective feedback firsthand. We often find ourselves unsure of what good feedback looks like. Additionally, the art of giving constructive feedback is a skill many of us haven’t been explicitly taught.

Combine that with a substantial number of individuals working in a feedback vacuum, receiving little to no feedback, and we have a recipe for performance stagnation.


What Good Looks Like

Now, let me share a couple of practical tips to elevate the quality of your feedback.

Effective feedback is a blend of praise and direction. While continually saying, “Great job!” has its merits, it can become repetitive and lacks the specificity needed for improvement.

Praise alone doesn’t cut it. The magic lies in combining praise with direction.


A Simple Structure

One handy framework to structure your feedback is the WWW (What Worked Well) and EBI (Even Better If) or KDT (Keep Doing That). This simple approach allows you to highlight strengths (“What worked well”) and provide constructive suggestions for improvement (“Even Better If”).

It’s a powerful way to balance acknowledgement and guidance, ensuring your team members know both what they excel at and where they can grow.


Changing the World One Person at a Time

By incorporating these tips, you can join the small percentage of leaders making a real difference through their feedback. Imagine the impact we could have collectively if more leaders embraced this approach! Let’s shift that percentage together, ensuring that more individuals in the workplace receive feedback that not only inspires and energises but also propels them to excel in their roles.

So, go ahead, apply these principles, and let’s create workplaces where effective feedback is the norm, helping you, as a leader or manager, achieve the results you’re ultimately accountable for. Take care of yourself, and remember to lead on.


What Now?

If you’re looking for 1-2-1 leadership coaching for you or your team, email me at and let’s start the conversation.

Your coach,

Corporate Whack Attack


Image: Charles Deluvio via Unsplash.

Two things you can do to say thank you for this free resource

Subscribe to ”The Ben Morton Leadership Podcast“ on your preferred podcast platform to help us grow the show and bring you more fantastic interviews with senior leader

Connect with me on LinkedIn for regular leadership tips and insights. Be sure to add a personal note with the request.

Connect with Ben